Sunday 22 July 2018

Arnolfini Portrait by Jan van Eyck

That's this:

Van Eyck - Arnolfini Portrait.jpg

Painted in 1434 this is a portrait of a wealthy couple of the time.  Some scholars say it might be a wedding portrait, some say they are already married.  Some believe she is pregnant, others believe she is not.  It's an interesting read if you want to look it up.  I just think it's beautiful though. 

My third favourtie thing about this portrait is the colours.  Everything seems rich, vibrant and textured.

My second favourite thing about this portrait is the mirror on the back wall.  To have a mirror where you can actually see what's reflected in the rest of the room is pretty brilliant. 

My number one favourite thing about this portrait is the shoes on the floor. Gotcha!  Yes, my favourite thing is the dog!  Partially, I love this dog because he reminds me so much of a special Affenpinscher I dearly loved (Hi Riley).  I also love how the dog is looking directly into the eyes of the viewer - curious, alert and allied with his owners. 

Some sources (Wikipedia) say the dog could have simply been included there as a "symbol" of fidelity and loyalty.  Sure, some things might just be symbolic, but I prefer the theory that it is just their dog, and he was there watching (as dogs always are), and the artist decided to immortalize him. 

584 years ago, in the home of a wealthy merchant in Belgium, with the Renaissance world hustling and bustling outside the window, as history was unfolding, there just stood a little dog wondering what was going on inside his house.  (And, probably, when the heck they were gonna give him some supper).

No comments:

Post a Comment