Sunday 31 December 2017

L.S. Lowry / Matchstick Men

Laurence Stephen Lowry (1887 - 1976) did several paintings nicknamed "Matchstick Men" paintings.  Some of the images are below.  He painted an industrial northern English landscape, bleak, dark and hopeless (to me).  But!  He incorporated dogs into his scenes of street life which makes them happy happy (to me).  Some examples below:

Image result for l.s. lowry

I like the 4 dogs visible around the main square - one of which is trying to jump up and play with another.  (Or attack.  But I say play).

Market Scene, Northern Town

One on a leash, one roaming free. 

Image result

At least 3 in the foreground, probably countless more back there with the masses.

Image result for matchstick men art

At least four in that one.

There are many others in this same style, depicting the working classes at work and play with the industrial landscape as backdrop. 

I enjoy this style.  So many details to discover.  He did other styles of art as well, but, I like finding the "Matchstick Dogs" in his work so, I'll stick with those.  My tastes are simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment